Here is a nifty tool which can be used to deploy, redeploy, upgrade and retract/delete the solutions in the SharePoint environment. It hHandles all these jobs using the object model. This tool will be definitely handy for developers for quick deployment
The best way to get anything or any component into SharePoint environment is by creating a WSP aka Solution file. Many tools exists to create the WSP like
way of doing it. Having done that the next step would be deploying the same into SharePoint environment. WSPBuilder supports deploying directly though Visual Studio but some times it could get messy. It also limits to the project you
set up using WSPBuilder. This tool is built in a generic way which can be used to manage already deployed solutions and also for deploying new solutions. So given a WSP file this tool can help you get that into SharePoint environment.
I agree there is another tool SharePoint Solution Installer
on codeplex but I never was happy with that as it didn't serve the purpose many a times for me. Moreover that tools was closed to administrators.
ShareTools Solution Manager does many things which can be done with stsadm command line tool. Below are a salient list of those:
- View existing solutions in our server environment
- Add new solutions
- Upgrade existing solutions either immediately or at a given time
- Redeploy an existing solution if you have a latest WSP of the same solution
- Retract and Delete the existing solution
- Deploy a new solution with all the parameters used in stsadm command line tool
- Execute the administrative timer job definitions i.e stsadm.exe -o execadmsvcjobs with a single click of the button
Execute the administrative timer job definitions - This facility is provided so that you can use it at times when you see that the deployment or any of your actions is not yet completed.
You can visit my blog: http://sharenotes.wordpress.com